We are currently recruiting two individuals to join our Board who will be elected at our Annual General Meeting on May 26, 2022. We also have community member positions available on our Finance, Audit & Risk Committee.
Building a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors is important to us and we are committed to ensuring representation consistent with the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage the broad range of experiences, skills and knowledge that applicants with diverse abilities, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, and ethnicity bring. Although applications are welcome from all interested individuals, we particularly welcome applications from individuals who bring any of the following perspectives to their work:
• Lived experience as a member of the Black, Indigenous or other racialized communities
• Lived experience as a member of the LGBT2SQ+ Non-Binary or Gender Diverse community
• Individuals with a lived or shared experience with homelessness
• Persons with Disabilities
• Individuals who live and/or work in Dufferin County
• Board leadership experience
• Public & media relations
• Granting; Community investment and impact
It is expected that all Directors and committee members will champion anti-racism/anti-oppression, diversity, equity and inclusion and apply this lens to their work.
United Way Guelph Wellington Dufferin is championing a shared responsibility for social good.
We play a pivotal role helping kids be all they can be, moving people from poverty to possibility and creating strong communities. With the help of many volunteers, United Way raises funds year-round, including the largest annual fundraising campaign in Guelph, Wellington and Dufferin. Those community donations are put to work to meet emerging and existing social needs in order to improve lives and build community. This is done by facilitating ongoing engagement in our community to identify pressing social issues and leading credible collective strategies to impact those issues.
Making real and lasting change requires the contributions, expertise, and commitment of everyone in our community – including our Board of Directors. We know that the social issues facing our community are challenging. We also know that the ways that people want to connect to make a difference in their community are changing. Working on our Board of Directors and committees, you will help us adapt to meet these needs as we elevate our role as a catalyst for change in Guelph, Wellington and Dufferin.
Board of Directors Positions
The Board of Directors has a governance mandate and is responsible for ensuring the United Way’s mission and strategic plan are achieved. Board members are responsible for:
• Providing strategic leadership to United Way, including but not limited to:
– establishing the long-term direction and vision,
– monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the strategic plan,
– overseeing the financial health of the organization, and
– providing business and personal insights to inform major organizational decisions.
• Acting as a positive and passionate ambassador for United Way both in the board room and out in the community.
• Keeping informed about the organization, its issues, and its connection to the community through active participation.
• Supporting activities within the annual fundraising strategy, as appropriate, and make an annual personal financial contribution at a level commensurate with your financial means.
Board members hold a two-year term, renewable up to four times. During that term, board members are expected to:
• Attend monthly board meetings. Meetings take place the fourth Thursday of the month at 6 pm. Currently board meetings are virtual but once it is safe to do so, meetings will be held in person but the option to participate virtually.
• Participate on one United Way committee (Finance, Audit & Risk, Human Resources, Governance and the Community Impact Committee). Between Board meetings, members are asked to actively work on their committee projects to ensure activities are proceeding according to schedules.
• Attend United Way special events and fundraisers and represent United Way at community events.
• Total time commitment of approximately 4-6 hours a month plus meeting preparation time.
Committee Positions – Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
Board Committees support the Board of Directors with the governance and oversight of the organization. We are currently recruiting Community Members for our Finance, Audit and Risk Committee (FARC). The FARC meets monthly and their responsibilities include:
• To review and recommend the annual budget and financial statements to the Board for approval
• To monitor the financial performance of UWGWD and bring any concerns to the Board;
• To review the scope of the annual external audit, meet with the auditor and review the annual audited financial statements and auditor’s report prior to the Annual General Meeting;
• To review management’s assessment of business risks, ensuring that Board approval, systems and internal controls are in place to identify, monitor and mitigate such risks.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to be become a Board or committee member, please fill out an application form and send a copy of your resume (if you have one) to email@example.com by April 15. Your application will be reviewed by our Governance Committee and we will be in touch with next steps.